Today’s market offers a plethora of lasers designed to remove unwanted hair in a series of 6-10 laser hair removal treatments. Technically, it isn’t laser hair “removal” because nothing is actually removed. It should be referred to as laser hair “reduction” but for some reason that term isn’t used often. In general, the consumer doesn’t care what it’s called or what type of laser is used as long as it works!
When searching for a reputable provider of laser hair removal services, it would be advisable for the consumer to ask what type of laser is used. Take the time to do a little bit of research on it. The type of laser used does matter, especially for darker skin types which require what’s called a “YAG” laser to prevent burns. There are many lasers for hair removal available. No one laser is ideal for every individual. Depending on your skin color and hair color, some lasers will be more effective than others. Definitely look online for any reviews about the facility. Call them and ask about the experience level of the technician.
Here are the different types of lasers for hair removal available:
- Ruby Laser Hair Removal – The slowest on the market and only for very light skin types, thus not very popular.
- Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal – One of the faster treatments on the market and able to treat large areas on light to olive complexions.
- Diode Laser Hair Removal – Safe for darker skin types but much less effective on lighter skin types. Because there is a smaller area of treatment, longer treatment time is needed. Often more uncomfortable.
- Nd:YAG Laser Hair Removal – The YAG is the go-to laser for darker skin and can be used for all skin types. It is not as effective for fine, lighter hairs.
- BBL (Broad Band Light) Hair Removal – BBL sends multiple lower energy pulses at a high repetition rate, Forever Bare BBL provides a treatment that is safe, fact, effective and comfortable.
Here at Clinique Dallas | Medspa & Laser Center, we have a world renowned laser made by Sciton, called the Sciton JOULE, which provides the widest array of aesthetic procedures available from a single, scalable system. It is the world’s first platform to accommodate three different modes of delivery: articulated arm, fiber, and broadband light.
Our Sciton JOULE includes eight different laser and light modules, 2 of them being the YAG and the BBL modules. As described above, the YAG module (ClearScan YAG) employs laser energy that can selectively target micro-structures, such as hair follicles. With its targeted absorption by melanin, it gives the optimal balance between safely treating all skin types and effectively removing unwanted hair. The ability to safely treat sun-tanned skin makes this the treatment of choice for active individuals; and the BBL module (ForeverBARE BBL), allows for extremely even heating of hair follicles and minimizes missed areas that occur with traditional hair removal devices.
When Choosing Laser Hair Removal Treatments…
When considering a hair removal laser treatment, consumers should ask the following questions:
- Is this laser FDA approved for hair removal on my skin type and hair color?
- What is the type of laser being used for your type of skin? Research the type of laser to make sure you are getting treated with a laser that is current technology, FDA approved and has good consumer ratings.
- What type of cooling system is the laser equipped with? It is important that a laser have consistent cooling in order to ensure patient safety and comfort.
- Is there a board-certified physician on site? Although complications with new lasers for hair removal are rare, in the event of a complication, you need to know who will provide medical attention.
Laser hair removal is one of the most requested cosmetic treatments in the world and can be extremely successful and safe. Laser hair removal is also cost effective versus a lifetime of shaving supplies and hours spent shaving! Men and women all over the world love the freedom of baby smooth skin without the five o’clock shadow or postponing a social function to go shave! So get some time back, get some life back and go get laser hair removal!